What OS are you using?

Tainted~Monkey
    NBN Owner
    NBN Owner

What OS are you using?

Post  Tainted~Monkey on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:35 am

What operating System do yOu use?

I use Windows 7 when on the computer, and iPhone Mac OS 3.1.2 on my cell phone.

ReDhEaVeN
    Administrators
    Administrators

Re: What OS are you using?

Post  ReDhEaVeN on Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:47 pm

On My Moms Desktop Computer, it runs Windows XP Media Center. On My Busted laptop, it runs Windows Vista.

qwertyuiop
    Administrators
    Administrators

Post  qwertyuiop on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Vista.

GFX Team

Post  username on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:03 pm

I run on Windows XP Home Edition Smile

NBN Owner
    NBN Owner

Post  Tainted~Monkey on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:56 am

Stick with XP and Vista lol don't upgrade to 7, just a word of advice.

When I leave home I'm definitely getting a Mac, I'm done with Windows.

Rdawg00014
    NBN Owner
    NBN Owner

Post  Rdawg00014 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:23 pm

Dude macs are so useless lol just way too expensive.

Tainted~Monkey
    NBN Owner
    NBN Owner

Post  Tainted~Monkey on Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Rdawg00014 wrote:Dude macs are so useless lol just way too expensive.

as expensive as they may be they are far superior to windows OS. They don't get viruses because people don't make viruses for them.

Also they are much more stable in many aspects.

Rdawg00014
    NBN Owner
    NBN Owner

Post  Rdawg00014 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:10 pm

still to me the price isnt worth it. i just wont do anything that could risk em getting viiruses lol

Spawn
    Web Team
    Web Team

Post  Spawn on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:25 pm

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. I have an emulator with Windows XP, and it only has 2 programs on it. I am a Linux fan. Smile
    ReDhEaVeN
    Administrators
    Administrators

Post  ReDhEaVeN on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:04 pm

Linux Suxs big time dude...Stick with Either the MAC OS X (iMac) or Microsoft Windows (Choose Vista or Windows 7)

Spawn
    Web Team
    Web Team

Post  Spawn on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Kairis-ReDhEaVeN wrote:Linux Suxs big time dude...Stick with Either the MAC OS X (iMac) or Microsoft Windows (Choose Vista or Windows 7)

Have you used Linux before? If you haven't, stop saying crap about it. I have been using Ubuntu since April and haven't had any problems with it, with the exception of getting Windows programs to work. I did find an emulator for that, and now I am happy. I only have 2 (count them.) 2 Windows apps on my emulator that I actually use. One is Firefox to watch movies on Netflix (Because they have some bug up their ass about Linux, even though their server runs on Linux.), and the other is Warcraft III. All of the other stuff that I do is in Linux. IRC is in XChat (Which is free in Linux.), gedit pwns the shit out of Microshit Notepad (It has syntax highlighting for almost every programming language.), Rhythmbox is like iTunes, only without all the ads and slowness. There is a lot more programs, and all of them are free. (Hell, once you actually get used to Linux, you will wonder why you have ever spent a dime on any program/OS.)

Open Source has advanced a lot further than anything made by a company (as far as programs run.). Phpbb3 is all open source, and it has a lot more features than, say, vBulletin. Yet, some choose vBulletin because they think quality comes with a price. Not all the time. Especially in the case of software. Mozilla Firefox is another example. It had tabbed browsing 3 years before Internet Exploder did. And look at how many add ons are available for it. All for free. I have never seen an add-on for Mozilla to pay for that I actually needed. Programs do a lot better being open source. As to errors, the last time I had something wrong on my laptop was trying to run a Windows program. Never had any problems other than that.

As to Windows, in the time I have used it, I have hated it. Not only does it have errors on everything you run, but it also drains a lot more CPU/RAM than need be. I have had Vista on this laptop, and on Classic mode, it would suck up 1gb of my RAM, for no reason, but to sit and idle. Linux, on the other hand, is running Mozilla with about 10 tabs open (yes, I do a lot of things, I need speed.), 3 instances of gedit, 3 IRC bots, Quassel (My other IRC app.), Pidgin (my all in one chat with no annoying ads Smile ), and a couple other windows running. Doing that, it is only using about 700MB. Also, the "protection" programs on Windows tend to also bog down CPU, like virus scanner, adware removal, spyware removal, Windows firewall (yeah, I don't even have a need for a firewall. Nor a virus scanner. Last virus that was on the Linux community was like 8 years ago.), MSN messenger and Yahoo take up a lot.

Mac, on the other hand, is nothing but cute and colorful wrapping around a UNIX shell. Guess what else runs UNIX? Linux. You basically pay ~$2,000 for looks and style. You can save a lot of money by just customizing a PC to your hardware likings, then just install Ubuntu (Just because it is the easiest to run and has a lot of visual features.), go to GNOME-look.org and download a Mac OSX theme and presto, you have a PC that looks better than a Mac for 1/5 the cost.

Now then, got anything good about Windows that they have achieved over the long long years of waiting? (Stolen ideas maybe?)

I am not saying you should get Linux at all. (I recommend it.) Just, don't talk down about it. You may think it sucks, but me, I think it is a dream. Operating Systems, just like anything else in this world, are based on user preference. What do you want out of your box?

NBN Owner
    NBN Owner

Post  Tainted~Monkey on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:50 pm

As to Windows, in the time I have used it, I have hated it. Not only does it have errors on everything you run, but it also drains a lot more CPU/RAM than need be.

Amen Brother

Populus
    Administrators
    Administrators

OS Select

Post  Populus on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:33 pm

First: I am currently dual-booting Windows Vista and Fedora 11 on my laptop, windows mobile on my phone and windows xp on desktop. I use fedora because it has proven to be less buggy and more compatible with my hardware.

Second: Spawn is actually right for the most part. Linux is great and is used by people who are more technically inclined generally in networking. Where as Mac OS is used primarily for graphics and music and windows is business based. A lot of people think linux is crap because it is free but in truth it is much better. It is created by "hackers" not in the stereotypical Hollywood sense but in the original adding to better the technology community and most importantly the classic code tht software should remain free to share with others. Linux is open source so tht others can add their skills to the OS. This doesn't mean that you are going to DL a OS tht some fooligan has added a program tht makes penises pop up every 10 min. The ideas and changes are submitted to the creators and producers and are then added to the next release. Overall i prefer linux but for the creator of this site i do suggest a Mac because of i assume his needs are based around web design. If he was dealing with databases that would be a different story. If you can afford it go ahead. The deal with linux is that is mainly terminal(command prompt) based and little is done through GUI. Some ppl think this is cheap but it is actually done to have better control of the computer as terminal speaks directly to the computer. If you want to use linux it wont be as easy as windows. You will have to learn a bit to effectively operate the OS. My suggestion- even if you get a Mac, dual boot with linux.
    Populus
    Administrators
    Administrators

btw

Post  Populus on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:36 pm

BTW from what i've heard Windows 7 is utterly fantastic. It is supposed to run like WinXP but look like Vista. I dont suggest DLing it though because there have been a large amount of Trojans in the DLs. Just get it with your next computer or buy it.
    Arceus_Master

Well...

Post  Arceus_Master on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm usually n an iPod but for an OS I have Windows XP, which is really slow, cuz I've had it for like 10 years
    Populus
    Administrators
    Administrators

XP speed

Post  Populus on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:51 pm

Its your hardware's age that's probably making it slow not XP's age
    Spawn
    Web Team
    Web Team

Post  Spawn on Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:05 am

Populus wrote:BTW from what i've heard Windows 7 is utterly fantastic. It is supposed to run like WinXP but look like Vista. I dont suggest DLing it though because there have been a large amount of Trojans in the DLs. Just get it with your next computer or buy it.

You're sentence seems to be broken...
    qwertyuiop
    Administrators
    Administrators

Post  qwertyuiop on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:05 am

Windows 7 should be awesome. A better Vista running like XP sounds great to me. It's more understood that you BUY windows 7 on a new CPU or the disk if you are wanting to get it, other than DL'ing it

Web Team

Post  Spawn on Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:08 pm

Meh, visual aspects of an OS only please me for like showing off. As for performance, I usually shut off the effects and go with what I need and still try to look cool. Windows hasn't attained the going basic and looking cool at all. At least you can customize GNOME with some cool themes and even make your own button layout. If you want it to look like Vista, switch to KDE when booting up and it will remind you of Vista.

And as for theme selection, take a look at:

http://kde-look.org
    http://gnome-look.org

I could make mine look like Windows 7 if I wanted to.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 20, 2018 3:06 pm