A Complete Guide To Begin Haxing A Wii!

qwertyuiop
    Administrators
    Administrators

A Complete Guide To Begin Haxing A Wii!

Post  qwertyuiop on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Here goes a copy-pasta from a guide I've made before from a site, volderbeek's forum. This is the original topic: http://volderbeek.freeforums.org/complete-guide-to-start-haxing-t2543.html
    This is a good place to find your HAX, btw.

Overview: This guide shows a complete beginner how to install homebrew, use the Gecko OS App, and then how to use and apply codes via codemanager. I'll try to keep this up to date.

Edit:
    Huge Update! If you are on a Wii System Menu that is not 4.2, DO NOT UPDATE. UPDATING DOES NOT HELP ANYTHING OUT NOR DOES IT HAVE BENEFITS. UPDATING YOUR WII COULD BRICK YOUR WII (even if you haven't hacked before), AND YOU'LL HAVE TO GET DIFFERENT DOWNLOADS SO INSTALLING HOMEBREW WILL WORK.

Table of Contents...
    Post #1 -- Getting Started & F.A.Q.
    Post #2 -- Installing Homebrew!
    Post #3 -- Haxing Materials and Using Them!
    Post #4 -- Reserved for future use ATM

This is the complete guide to hacking! This guide will attempt to tell you:
    --- How to Install Homebrew
    --- How to use codes on games like SSBB, MKWii, or Call Of Duty
    --- How to put on these codes
    I will say that this guide is a bit lengthy. I did this because I wanted to explain everything in great detail showing just about all steps you need to do to get started.

Getting Started
    Before we begin, you must understand that you need a few materials. You must have these things to do ANY of the things in this guide. If you don't, I suggest you go buy them then continue on with this guide. So, you'll need:
    --- 1 Wii. Duh.
    --- 1 SD Card that can be put into your Wii.
    --- 1 SD Card Reader. Most computers already have a built-in SD Card reader. Just look for it. If you don't have one, you can buy one at most stores for about $10-$20.
    --- Something that can open .zip files. If your CPU can't already, go find 7-Zip and use that.
    --- Everything else that you'll need is provided throughout the guide.

F.A.Q.
    These are the frequently asked questions that most of you ask, if you're new to this. Before asking any of your own questions, please use common sense! Don't ask me "WHERE IZ DA SD CARD SLOT INSERT THING ON ZE WII???" and stupid things like that! Also, a little thing called Google might be able to help. If there is other things that you are confused with, try researching a little bit. If you can't figure it out after that, I'd be more than happy to help. F.A.Q. is subject to change, since some people might ask a lot of the same thing...

Ok, WTF is Homebrew?
    Homebrew is actually a channel on your Wii, only obtainable by hacking. Homebrew uses your SD Card to load apps, or little applications you put in your SD Card. I'll explain this later in the guide. I personally use an app on it called "Gecko OS", which loads codes that you put into your SD Card.

Will this screw up my Wii?
    Listen, the chances of that are so low. EXTREMELY LOW. I can next to guarantee that you won't mess up your Wii, so long as you don't screw around with Homebrew and its apps. If you find an app you like, but it gives instructions on what-not-to-do and consequences of each, then don't do them. I don't suggest using over 256 lines of code (the code manager will tell you).

How do I make my own codes?
    I personally don't have a full guide for that. Nor does this guide show you how to make codes, just how to use codes made by others.
    All I know is that if you are planning on making codes, a thing called a "USBGecko" will help. Google that.

___

Otherwise , if you have any questions/comments, feel free to post them!
    By the end of this guide, you should know the basics of hacking and should be able to play a game with some codes on!

Last edited by qwertyuiop on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrators

Re: A Complete Guide To Begin Haxing A Wii!

Post  qwertyuiop on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:59 pm

This is the guide to installing Homebrew on your Wii! By the end of this guide, you should see the Homebrew Channel on your Wii's system menu!
    First off, all of the materials mentioned in the first post are needed here, just in case that wasn't clear enough.

Installation!
    Ok. Take out your SD Card, and plug it into your CPU, USB SD Card reader, or whatever you are using.
    Get these materials here, by clicking on the links you see right here...:

---Bannerbomb. You'll see several blue link downloads... one saying "aad1f" and etc... just get that one. Important: Make sure that when you go to the site, you pick the correct version. If you are System Menu 4.2, then check out the instructions on the site on how to use that bannerbomb.

--- HackMii Installer.

=== Now that you have these files, open your SD Card on your CPU. If you've used it on your Wii before, you might see a folder named "Private".

=== Take the Bannerbomb download you got, and copy/paste the file folder in it, "private", onto your SD Card. It should put be into no folders, and if the CPU prompts to merge a previous "private" folder with that one, then say yes to that. Now, just to make sure,
    on your SD Card, go to
    Private >>> Wii >>> Title
    There should be a folder there named "aktn". If there are any other folders in there, move them out. Once you install homebrew, you can put them back. But make sure that the "aktn" folder is there all by itself.

=== Take the HackMii download you got, and click into the "hackmii_installer_beta_2" folder. You should see 4 files, one being a "installer.elf" file. Copy and paste the "installer.elf" file onto your SD Card, DO NOT put it into any folders either. Then rename it "boot.elf".

=== Ok. now that all of your files are in the SD Card, put the SD Card into your Wii. Then go to
    Wii Options >>> Data Management >>> Channels >>> SD Card
    Once you click the "SD Card" tab, a message should come up asking to load the boot.dol/.elf. Click "yes".

NOTE: IF YOUR WII FREEZES, OR THE MESSAGE DOESN'T COME UP, GO BACK TO THE BANNERBOMB SITE AND CHOOSE A DIFFERENT DOWNLOAD.

=== A little disclaimer comes up. Wait a minute for "Press 1 to continue" to come up. Obviously, press "1" on your Wiimote.

=== Press "A" on the already-highlighted "Continue". Scroll up until "Install the Homebrew Channel" is highlighted. Press "A", then go up again onto "Yes, Continue". Wait a second, then press continue.

=== It should take you back to the screen that you were at. Scroll down and click "Exit".

Congrats, You now have the Homebrew Channel installed!!!

Homebrew Apps
    Now, for those apps I was talking about. Since this guide is about hacking, I will mainly talk about the Gecko OS app.

Take your SD out of your Wii, and put it back into your computer.
    In your SD Card, make a folder named "apps" (without the quotes). The "apps" folder you make should NOT be put into any other folders.

I would say go to Wiibrew.org, however, the Gecko OS download link for that site is broken. So, go here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~brkirch/Gecko191.zip
    Once done downloading that, open it, and go to
    Gecko191 >>> Gecko191 >>> HBC
    If you want a more recent version of Gecko OS, check the site for updates. The newer Gecko OS version downloads will have the same filepaths, just renamed folders for the new version (Gecko191 might be Gecko192 or Gecko193, etc)

In the HBC folder, you should once again see another folder named "Gecko191". If you click into it, you'll see a boot.elf (or .dol) , icon, and meta.
    Copy and paste / drag and drop the "Gecko191" folder that contains those things into the "apps" folder of your SD Card.

Now, just to see, take out your SD Card, put it into your Wii, then start the Homebrew Channel. You should see the Gecko OS app you put into your SD Card there! To load it, simply click on it and press "load".

Now you have Gecko OS!
    Keep in mind you can do the SAME THING to install other apps onto Homebrew. Simply go here:
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_applications
    And find some apps you might want! I highly suggest getting the Homebrew Browser application though, it allows you to put apps onto Homebrew much easier.

Using Gecko OS
    Using Gecko OS is very simple. This is more of a few notes about it, but I still will explain. Before you ever launch this channel, make sure you have your SD Card inserted.

** Version Menu Screens Vary **
    In this case, I'm speaking about Gecko OS 1.9.1. Gecko191 is the best out of them all as of now, because most codes I use work on it. Other versions act little different, plus 1.9.1 starts the game a bit faster.

When you first load Gecko OS, you'll see a list,
    Launch Game, Launch Channel, Launch Rebooter, Config Options, Rebooter Options, About, and Exit.

If you're wanting to use codes for Wii games, the only 2 things you'll worry about is Launch Game and Config Options. I'll explain each though.
    --- "Launch Game" starts the game, obviously. It can load Gamecube games also (i think)
    --- "Launch Channel" starts any channels you have on your Wii. I never use this, i don't imagine you will either.
    --- "Launch Rebooter" restarts the Wii with the options selected in "Rebooter Options". I can't go into detail here, I never use that.
    ------ "Config Options" has a lot of stuff in it once you click into it. It has Game Language, Force NTSC, Force PAL60, Force PAL50, Gecko Hook Type, Load Debugger, SD File Patcher, SD Cheats, Geckok Pause Start, Bubbles On, and Save Config.

The only things you need to mess with in the config options is "Gecko Hook Type" and "SD Cheats". KEEP EVERYTHING ELSE ON ITS DEFAULT SETTINGS, DON'T BOTHER MESSING WITH IT.
    "Gecko Hook Type" can be switched off of Default to a variety of different "hooks". I can't explain what each does, because I really don't know what they do. However, I do know that some codes require to have a certain Hook Type on. For example, the Serial Number Changer for Mario Kart Wii needs to have the "GC Pad" hook type on for it to work (for me at least). Also, I think most Call Of Duty codes need to have "OSSleepThread" on for them to work. However, just keep this on "Default" for now.
    "SD Cheats" is normally on "yes". Keep it that way. If it isn't, go down to it and switch it to yes.

Once you have done any changes, scroll down and click "Save Config", then press B to go back to Gecko OS's main menu,

--- "Rebooter Options" is for "Launch Rebooter". I don't use this really but there is some options in there.
    --- "Exit" takes you back to the Wii Menu.

So yea, pretty much, make sure that you keep "SD Cheats" on. That's about it to get SD Cheats to work.
    The codemanager automatically puts the .gct file (.gct files contain the codes you put on via codemanager) into a directory in your SD Card, and Gecko OS loads that. Normally the directory is "\codes" but I think the codemanager that I provide puts it into "\data\gecko\codes". It really doesn't matter.

And that's about it for info about Gecko OS.

Alrite, you're almost ready to begin HAXING your games! Read the next post on what to do next.

Administrators

Post  qwertyuiop on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:00 pm

This guide mainly shows how to use the codemanager, which puts codes (in the form of a GCT file) onto your SD Card!

Materials...
    --- You'll need a codemanager.
    Thats all, you still need your SD Card.

A Few Things To Know
    Alrite. Here are some terms for you to know that you will see throughout the web when looking for codes.
    Code:
    [NTSC-U] users are people with American (U.S.A.) Wiis. Usually called "NTSC"
    [NTSC-J] users are people with Japanese Wiis. Usually called "JAP"
    [PAL-EU/AU] users are everyone else. Usually called "PAL"
    "Universal" or "Region Free" means that it can be used in all regions. However, "Universal" can also mean the code works for all games. I know of no codes that do that other than mdm's MAC Address Changer, so you won't have to worry about that.
    You must understand that you can't use PAL codes if you are NTSC-J, or use NTSC-U codes if you are PAL, vice versa.

Also, before exporting any code, the only kinds of letters that should be in the code (case doesn't matter) are "A", "B", "C", "D", "E", and "F". If there is any other letters in there, then they probably have to be replaced by something because they are a variable. Normally, the creator of the code will tell you what those other letters mean, and what they need to be replaced with.

Now, to Begin!
    Move the codemanager out of the .zip file to somewhere you want it.

Once you open the codemanager, you should see a few blank boxes and stuff. If you click on "File", you'll see "New List", "Open Txt File", etc etc. Those are the only three you need to worry about.

Now, what do those mean? On the codemanager, it uses .txt files (or saved note pad files) to open and use codes. If you were to click "New List", you are making a new .txt file for a new game you want. If you were to put all of the stuff down for that; the game name, game id, codes, etc, and click "File" >>>"Save as", it would save it as a .txt file, with all of the codes on it. You can later re-open it with the codemanager.

Now, you want to get some codes, right?
    http://geckocodes.org/ is a decent site to get started on. It has a wide variety of codes for ALL games, and even gives you the GameIDs, which I go there for. This site here has a shitload of Game IDs also. (Or you could use the one you're on now, Volderbeek's Forum, for all your codes Wink )

Open your codemanager. For this example, we are wanting to get some codes for Mario Kart Wii, region is PAL, and we are starting from scratch. At the GeckoCodes site, you might search "Mario Kart Wii". For me, 3 options came up, one for each region. You would select the "PAL" one.

Ok, we have to do a little reading. First off and most importantly, we need to find the GameID. It is at the top, and in this case, the game ID for MKWii PAL users would be RMCP01. In your code manager, look for the "Game ID" tab. Normally when making a new list, it says "BLNK01". Take that away, and replace it with "RMCP01" (without the quotes). (Note: In that Game ID, "RMCP01", the "P" in it is for PAL users. You could replace the "P" with an "E" to make that Game ID NTSC, or a "J" to make it JAP). I would suggest (although not required) that you also fill in the "Game Name" option, so you can remember. Put "MKWii" or something.

Click back to the codes we were looking at.
    Find a code you want, in this case we'll use this one,
    Code:
    P1 No Laps (Finish right away)
    48000000 809BD730 [memorris]
    DE000000 80008180
    58010000 000000AC
    DE000000 80008180
    14000018 00000000
    14000024 00030387
    E0000000 80008000
    thay work on Grand prix,time trial,vs race only.
    Hacked by James0x57 for NTSC-US, ported by memorris to PAL-EU
    Thank you James0x57.
    Copy the random values ONLY, which would be the
    Code:
    48000000 809BD730
    DE000000 80008180
    58010000 000000AC
    DE000000 80008180
    14000018 00000000
    14000024 00030387
    E0000000 80008000
    If you have to backspace any annoying text that's in the way, then do so.
    Now, with the copied code, go to your codemanager. Look for a button that says "Add New Code/Comment/Category". Press it, fill in w/e name you want, so you can remember it. In this case we might put "P1 No Laps" or something.

In your codemanager, you'll notice the thing you typed pop up as text in bold within the code manager, click on it. Now, look for the "Code Contents" tab. Then paste the code you copied into there.

NOTE: WHEN YOU FIND A CODE YOU LIKE ON THE INTERNET, MAKE SURE TO READ ABOUT THE DEscriptION OF IT GOOD. IT MIGHT SAY YOU NEED TO REPLACE AN "X" VALUE WITH SOMETHING ELSE, LIKE IN THIS CODE HERE:
    Code:
    [FC cloner - mdmwii - PAL]
    C25E411C 0000000A
    80A7D748 3DC00001
    39CE93F0 3A2000XX
    3A4000YY 7E3171D6
    7E5271D6 39CEFC0C
    7E317214 7E527214
    7E312A14 7E522A14
    81D10000 91D20000
    91D2000C 81D10010
    91D20010 81D10030
    91D20030 00000000

XX = source license and YY = destination license.

XX & YY values:
    00 = 1st license (top-left)
    01 = 2nd license (top-right)
    02 = 3rd license (bottom-left)
    03 = 4th license (bottom-right)
    IF YOU DON'T REPLACE THE X/Y VALUE WITH SOMETHING APPOINTED BY THE CREATOR, THE CODE WON'T DO ANYTHING. ONCE YOU DO REPLACE THE X,Y,S,Q, ETC VALUE, MAKE SURE YOU STORE THE MODIFICATIONS!

Now, that you've copied and pasted your code, click the button that says "store modifications". Then click "Ok".

The text then should have a little box beside it.
    Checking it activates the code, keeping it blank keeps it off.

By this time, make sure you have put in:
    --- A Game ID (in this example, its RMCP01 for MKWii)
    --- A game name (in this example, its MKWii, Mario Kart Wii, w/e you want)
    --- Codes.
    --- Checked the boxes of the codes you want on.
    --- Make sure you have plugged your SD Card into the CPU.
    --- Make sure you have the correct game ID for your region.

So, keep doing what i said until you have all of the codes you want.
    Once you are done, click the button that says "Export to GCT". If it asks to store any modifications, say "Yes" to it.

A window should come up. Look under the tab that says "Store to SD Card".
    Click on the drop-down list. Then select the drive that contains your SD Card. (For me, it's F:\). The name of your SD Card might be "Secure Digital Storage Device" or something like that. If you don't see it, but know your SD Card is plugged in, select a random drive, click out, then click the drop-down list again. You should see it.

Once you've gotten your SD's drive selected, click the "Store" button. Wait a second , it should automatically be put it onto your SD Card.

Now, take out your SD Card, put it back into your Wii, start up your homebrew channel, then start up Gecko OS!
    Press A on the "Launch Game" option, and if you did it right, something should eventually come up saying "SD Codes found, applying"

And now you know how to put on codes and stuff!

Keep in Mind...
    Always keep these things in mind while putting on codes:

1. You gotta have the correct Game ID, with its respective codes, or else none of the codes will work! You can't use a PAL game ID if you are a NTSC user! You can't use NTSC-J codes with a PAL Game ID! Vice versa...

2. You can save the code(s) you make onto a .txt file. It is an option under "File" on the codemanager. If you do this, though, I suggest you give the list you're making a Game Name.

3. There are pre-made code lists. Finding some specifically for you is hard though, and 90% of the time you'll have to do some work yourself to get the codes you want.

4. If you are unsure as to what Game ID you should use for whatever game, go to geckocodes.org and search for the game you want! Make sure you choose the correct region! Then look at the top of the page, you should see the game ID there.

5. As a note for geckocodes.org, you'll notice a "Download" button at the top of each page when looking at a game's codes. When you click it, though, it comes to a page with a bunch of text and stuff, but no download. Just select all of the stuff on the page that comes up, and copy/paste it into a new notepad (.txt) file.

Happy Haxing! You should know how to hack now.

Administrators

Post  qwertyuiop on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:01 pm

Post reserved just in case

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:10 pm